Sunday, May 29, 2016

Review: Just Kiss Me by Rachel Gibson



Blurb 
“Hello, Ms Vivian…it’s been a long time.”

And with those words, Vivian Leigh Rochet nearly melted. It’s been years since she last saw Harrison Whitley-Shuler. She was a teenager scrubbing houses for a living. He was gorgeous son of rich parents, not fit for the likes of her. 

Vivian had vowed to get out of Charleston, become a big Hollywood star, and stick it to the snooty girls who made her cry. She’s got what she wanted-and more-but why does her glamorous life seems so trivial? 

Harrison got out too…making it all the way to Wall Street, until a heart attack forced him to trade in his cuff-links for a good set of hand tools.  

Making furniture soothes his soul, but escaping the Whitley-Shuler heritage is nearly impossible. And now he’s come face-to-face with the one who got away. He’s not looking for love. He’s not even looking for sex…so why is resisting her the hardest thing he’s ever done…?


Review
Before I get into the review I wanted to note that while the blurb says the characters are Harrison and Vivian in the review copy they are Henry and Vivien while I don't think it's a big deal I hope the publisher will fix this before release. 

What I loved about Just Kiss Me was the humor and that's definitely something you can count on in Gibson's novels. In this story we meet Vivien as an adult who is a successful actress but we also get to know the thirteen year old girl through her Dear Diary moments. I have to say those were some of the funniest moments and it reminded me of my own Dear Diary moments at that age. I thought the way that Gibson tapped into those moments were pure genius and super funny. 

Vivien looses her mother suddenly and returns home to take care of her house and affairs. While home she gets some surprises and yet she takes each and every one of them in stride. I really loved her character she was strong, funny and was really charming. I found her to be the perfect heroine that fit Henry's character really well. I didn't warm up to Henry until a little later in the story but once I did I also found him to have charming qualities and loved his loyalty towards his family and then Vivien. 

Not only did these two characters have great chemistry in and out of the bedroom but they had great tension between them. Each time they were around one another I noticed that their banter was like foreplay and it was only a matter of time before they gave into it. 

Gibson delivered some surprises throughout Just Kiss Me that I was not expecting. I don't want to give them away but without these surprises I'm not sure I would have enjoyed this story as much as I did. 

I thought the ending was a little abrupt and wished it was drawn out a little more. With that being said I have to thank Gibson for at least including one last chapter done in a Dear Diary fashion which gave me some information about her and Henry's future. It was cute and I was glad to see these two were going to have the HEA they deserved. 

In this story Henry's brother was introduced. I found him funny and likable so hopefully he will get his own story one day. If you love Rachel Gibson's stories as much as I do you don't want to miss Just Kiss Me! 




No comments:

Post a Comment