Saturday, April 30, 2016

Review: Into the Whirlwind (BOSS, Inc. #2) by Kat Martin


Blurb

A bodyguard, a bounty hunter, a private investigator, no one can handle the heat like the men of BOSS, Inc.

Megan O'Brien is at her wit's end. Her three-year-old son has been kidnapped. No police, says the ransom demand. Fearing for her son's life, Meg has no choice but to turn to her former bodyguard, Dirk Reynolds.

Dirk's never forgiven Meg for the way she left him after their brief affair. But with bounty hunter Luke Brodie on his side, Dirk knows he's got to help Meg rescue her son.

The few clues they’ve gathered send them spiraling into a murky world of big banking and international crime. Meg may be way out of her depths, but she’s seeing a side of Dirk she never suspected—one no woman could possibly resist.  
     
Paperback, 400 pages
Expected publication: May 31st 2016 by Zebra
 
 
Review:
This is the second book in the Boss Inc series and honestly it was just okay for me. We first meet Meg and Dirk in the first book when he was her bodyguard. They had a fling but Meg cut him loose because she is a single mom and she didn't think he was the type of guy to take that on.

This story picks up about 6 months later and they haven't had any contact. Meg comes home and notices her 3 year old son is missing and in his place is a ransom note requesting money and no cops. She decides to go to the only person that can help and it just so happens to be Dirk.

Dirk fell in love with Meg and was hurt by her ending things. He has tried to move on but now he has to work closely with her again to bring her son home. Dirk knows he should leave her alone since she made it clear before but they closer they work together feels start to surface again but it can put the whole mission in danger.

Honestly Meg annoyed me at times, one minute she's like I need to stay away from him to please I need you just tonight. She ends up convincing him to have sex with her to get her to sleep while her son is still missing. Since I'm not a mother myself I can't connect with her on that but i would like to think that would or could never happen. She treated him like a yo-yo pretty much the whole time when he was just trying to do what she wanted in the first place.

With the description of Dirk I was honestly picturing him as a 80s cop with the mustache which made me giggle constantly when I was reading. I thought he was sweet and just had this way about him that made me want to say to hell with Meg take me!

I did find some discrepancies in Dirks childhood story. At one part he says he didn't know about being apart of a real family because his mother worked all the time then another part when he refers to his mother leaving and he didn't remember her. So which is the real story behind Dirk and his family life?

The ending was a bit rushed and who was behind the kidnapping was expected. I would have liked a little more on both ends.

I'm really looking forward to reading the next book because Luke just sounds like his story is going to be a good from the blurb and the preview.

No comments:

Post a Comment