Monday, December 28, 2015

Review: Hooked by Love by Toni Aleo


Blurb:
Things are out of control for the Sinclair boys! With two already in the NHL, Jace Sinclair is ready to follow in his brothers’ HUGE skates in the last Bellevue Bullies novel…
Jace Sinclair here, and I’m amazing. There is no other way to describe me. I am the leading scorer for the Bellevue Bullies, I’m the captain, and people love me: my family, my teammates, my coach, and the NHL. This is my last year in college–I already have one foot in the draft. Hockey keeps me warm even when it’s freezing. It’s always there when nothing else is. And it pushes me to be the best I can be. It’s my one and only love.
That is, until I see her against a tree with a guitar.
Avery.
The last thing I wanted was to meet anyone. My heart is on the bench because of what happened with my parents, and I don’t want that for myself. I don’t want to be hurt by anyone. I can’t give them that power.
But my heart is begging for ice time, and I can’t control it around her.
* * *
I’ve always been in the background. No one has ever had time for me and that’s fine; I’ve learned to cope. Coming from a family where hockey is life, the last thing I want is some big, burly hockey player charging at me. I don’t have time for it, but Jace Sinclair isn’t one to be deked around.
I didn’t want to meet anyone. I didn’t want to end up freezing the puck with him. It’s not what I want.
I have demons.
I have issues.
Living in the shadows, no one even knew until it was too late. But Jace wants to know.
He wants me.
And that scares me the living hell out of me.
We were so worried about what would happen if we fell, but we never thought what could happen in the process of falling. We never saw it coming. But it’s here, and the repercussions are not pretty.
We should have known that there is no way out of the zone when you are being Hooked by Love.

Review:
I really only started this series because Phillips niece Claire was in the first book but while I was getting to know the Sinclair family I simply fell in love with each and everyone of them. 

This story is about Jace and his last year of college before he gets drafted to the nhl. He only wants to think about hockey and is no way going to have a relationship. After watching his brothers fall one by one he thinks it won't happen to him well that is until he sees Avery sitting under a tree singing and BAM Jace Sinclair just falls. 

I really liked how Aleo did the set up for this story and how these two characters come together. They both are dealing with their own family issues but yet when they are together it's like they are against the world. 

This  book was definitely more of an emotional book. Avery is dealing with a family who ignores her and puts her last. Jace is dealing with a selfish father but the rest of his family is great. 

At first I wasn't sure if I would like Avery. I hoping she wouldn't be whiny but thankfully that didn't happen. Even though she was dealing with the short end of the stick with her family she was strong and determined to do everything she could to make it as a song writer. 

Aleo did a great job putting these two on road that has them not only discovering themselves and their love but what it could endure when things they didn't plan just starting popping up. If they could make it work or if they should throw in the towel. 

I have to say again I am really enjoying this family and I love the banter between the siblings. It's fun and you can tell that even with what there dad did they still are a strong unite. 

I think the only thing I really had a issue with was how wordy the overall book was. Sometimes I felt myself getting lost in the characters and the love they were building and the next I was like wow when is the next chapter going to start.  

I'm so looking forward to Lucy's story and I can't wait to see who Aleo picks for this feisty single mother! 

Although this could be read as a standalone I highly suggest getting to know the Sinclair's from the very beginning. 

Purchase Links




No comments:

Post a Comment