Sunday, July 8, 2012

Review: Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep

I’ve seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I’m supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I’m just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me—again.

Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects—and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I’m also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me?

It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can’t use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me—and I’m in for the fight of my life.



Review:

I am already a huge Jennifer Estep fan as I LOVE her Elemental Series, so I thought I’d give her YA series, Mythos Academy a shot as well and I was not disappointed! I really enjoy the mythology aspect to this series.
Dark Frost picks up when the students are just coming back to school after winter break and most of the students are doing last minute work for an assignment at the Crius Coliseum when all of a sudden there is an attack by Reapers searching for a specific dagger told to be able to open up a door to release Loki.  This event starts a chain reaction with all sorts of craziness, including Gwen’s best friend acting weird, things between her and Logan being unclear that has left her pretty much alone, such as she was when she first arrived at Mythos Academy. It is Gwen’s job to protect the dagger as Nike’s champion. She must find out where her mother has it hidden and re-hide it before the Reapers and Loki’s champion gets their hands on it.
I really enjoyed Dark Frost from the beginning as it jumps right into the action. Gwen is starting to find and understand herself more and the strength she is capable of and the growth that she has had to do throughout the series. I enjoyed getting to know some of the other characters, and the lengths they will go through to help her. The relationship between Gwen and Logan kind of pisses me off, often, but I thought they made some progress in this book.
Everything really hits the fan and Gwen is put through A LOT. I will admit that her reaction to the ending events worried me a little, but considering the shock of what happened, it shows that Gwen is human and that she is greatly affected by the life and world she has been introduced to. I have very much enjoyed this series and can honestly say it has climbed the list of one of my more favorite YA series and I can’t wait for the next book, Crimson Frost.



1 comment:

  1. I really like this series too, this makes me want to catch up and get Dark Frost read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete