Monday, June 11, 2012

Review: Shades of Desire by Virna De Paul

Natalie Jones is the lucky survivor of an elusive killer who preys on young women and then disappears from view. And since her harrowing ordeal, the once gutsy photojournalist has remained isolated in her home, paralyzed by fear and her failing vision.

Special Agent Liam "Mac" McKenzie has scars of his own. But despite his efforts to ignore the attraction that simmers between him and Natalie, he needs her help to catch a predator. Soon, they will forge a tentative alliance-charged with desire. Through a soft-focus lens, Natalie dares to envision a future with Mac beyond the investigation...never guessing that the clues hidden within her photographs are drawing them into an explosive confrontation with a madman.



Review

Well, I can say that reading the description of Shades of Desire, I was not prepared for the story that I got. While I enjoyed the suspense part of the story and the overall plot, I did not so much enjoy the romance part of it.
Natalie Jones, is a well known photographer who suffers with retinal degeneration that has caused her to slowly lose her sight, which she isn’t dealing with very well. Natalie lets few people into her life, and I got the feeling this is because of her grief about her circumstances. Natalie has not had an easy time and after suffering abuse as a child from her mother and knowing she’d go blind, she learned to build up walls to try and protect herself from other’s failing or hurting her. I felt that Natalie was actually pretty strong considering all that she has gone through and is just learning to adjust in the way she knows how.
Special Agent Liam “Mac” Mackenzie is a detective and he’s very good at his job. He’s a divorced, recovering alcoholic, who has kept his distance in relationships with women to avoid the circumstances that led to his divorce, he’s married to his job and he prefers it that way. Not really anything wrong with that if it’s his personality, but it bothered me he didn’t show really and remorse for his ex-wife. Mac really rubbed me the wrong way and came off as a jerk.
I just wasn’t feeling this book or I supposed more accurately I wasn’t feeling the relationship between Natalie and Mac, I just didn’t get it. Natalie’s personality was pretty back and forth, but I could believe that as she is has low self image due to her blindness but when she needs to be, she is ruthless and a fighter when her survival instincts kick in. Mac, on the other hand, I really didn’t like. He’s pretty jealous and his reactions to Natalie even from the beginning with how unprofessional and on the verge of being rude he was. Their relationship felt forced and that they didn’t really take the time to get to know each other before falling into bed with each other, I wondered if they even liked each other or just simply desired each other *shrug*
The suspense aspect of the book, I did enjoy. I thought the plot was interesting enough to keep my interest and wanting to keep reading to find out what happened. He learn pretty early on who the man is who attacked Natalie and some of his motivations, but I really wanted to get to the underneath of his crazy religious thoughts and find out if or who is pulling his puppet stings, so to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment