Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Review: Bared to You (Crossfire #1) by Sylvia Day

Our journey began in fire...

Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness—beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily...

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires.

The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...


Review:

So I heard that this book was supposed to be comparable to Fifty Shades of Grey, and although I do see the similarities, it is not the same, in a good way.
Eva Hammel is a 24 year old woman who has just moved to New York with her best friend Cary. Even though Eva comes from a family with money, she is determined to make it on her own and to start at the bottom and work her way up. This is where she finds herself working as an assistant in an advertising company in the Crossfire building where she meets a guy who she is instantly attracted too and captivated by. She has a couple run-ins with him before she learns that his name is Gideon Cross and he owns his own company and actually owns the whole building she works in.
Eva and Gideon both have a difficult past that has a great impact on their present selves and any kind of relationship they try to have. Oh my! Gideon and Eva’s relationship is messed up! But I liked how open Eva is about her struggles and her past with Gideon. Gideon’s got a ways to go before he’s able to open up, which I was waiting and waiting to find out his past traumas but we never find out in this book anyway. It’s laid out pretty obvious what trauma he suffered in his past and how it still effects him in the present but I want to know the story! Next book hopefully *fingers crossed*
Both of them are very jealous to the point of being irrational and Eva has a very bad habit of running off, which honestly lucky for her Gideon is the type to chase after her. Although I understand both of their struggles in their relationship based on their traumas, and I applaud them for sticking too it, it kind of drove me nuts them having the same conflict over and over again. Although with all their conflicts, gives them plenty of opportunities to make up ;) Also I wished there was more of a conflict with Gideon’s brother. He is very serious about warning Eva away from him, but I thought that fell short. Again I’m hoping it’ll play more of a part in the next book.
Overall I really liked Bared to You and Sylvia did a great job getting into the head of Eva and all her insecurities and her thought processes. I was pretty entertained with Cary and his own messed up-ness. I liked how in Gideon and Eva’s relationship, he is open to her being her own person and isn’t pushy to get Eva to fit into a certain role in his life. There are several things that I’m interested to know how they are going to play out so therefore I will be ANXIOUSLY awaiting the second book in the Crossfire series, Deeper into You.

No comments:

Post a Comment