Monday, April 18, 2011

Review: Born of Shadows (The League #5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

"Desideria is a Royal Guard sworn to protect her mother and her government. When she uncovers a devious assassination plot, she realizes that desperate times call for desperate messages. To save her mother and herself, she throws herself into the arms of a worldly-wise smuggler. Before long, things heat up in more ways than one. Sexy, sexy, supersexy."

Hardcover, 368 pages
Expected publication: April 25th 2011 by Grand Central Publishing 
ISBN
0446573256 (ISBN13: 9780446573252)

I don't know if I can express into words how long I have waited for Caillen Dagan's story and OMG  I was as lost as I was when he first was introduced. Now it this is absolutely the gate way drug into the next book (Darling) *dreamy sigh* but I am getting off track but back to the the love of my life from another world.

The latest installment in Sherrilyn Kenyon's The League series is definitely one worth reading. Let me start with what I liked about it. Caillen's story takes us back to the original cast of characters featured in her previous books. There were plenty of great characters in the original group still waiting to be explored, and now Sherrilyn Kenyon is giving me just what I wanted all along.... Caillen Dagan.

Caillen is rouge smuggler who is also so damn charming you want to choke him sometimes. The only women that hold his loyalty are his three sisters. No one can compare to them and he holds them all on the highest of the pedestal. Living  life by the seat of his pants isnt always what is cracked up to be. At the beginning of the story, Caillen is arrested and sentenced to death while taking the blame for something one of his sisters did. Just before he is executed, it's revealed he is actually wll I cant tell because it is a major part of the story (sorry). Caillen isn't really cut out for this other life but is willing to give it all he can.

During the summit that he meets Desideria, a princess from a race of warrior women. When the two of them get framed for the murders of their own parents, they go on the run, while trying to solve the mystery of who set the terrible plan in motion. This happens to bring them wayyyyy closer then was intended. Neither one can believe all the feelings come to the surface.

Ever since I stared this series I have longed and dreamed of this book. Caillen is not only sexy and fun, but his humor kept everything going. Now I wont act like I wasn't disappointed in a few things. Well, for one the sex was kinda missing something. Yeah they had it but it lacked some passion that Kenyon usually brings to the table. Also Kenyon usually writes dark and sexy. I felt this book lacked the dark and sexy. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it all the way to the end but I wasn't left as satisfied as I usually am by reading her books. 


It was great to see the characters again from the first 4 books. You can't help but miss Syn, Sharhara, Nykyrian, Hauk and Darling. The epilogue is set up for Darling's book and I have mentioned how excited I am for that. Although I am a tad confused on that will happen but you have to read this to know why I feel that way. I just hope all the unanswered questions about him are revealed. I am looking forward to continuing the series. Way to go Kenyon! Your books rock!

2 comments:

  1. I am very disappointed that after all these books Kenyon has decided to make Darling like girls all of a sudden... especially since his sexuality was such a substantial element of his character in earlier books. I love The League, but I wasn't thrilled with this installment. Here's my take, if you're interested: http://redhotbooks.blogspot.com/2011/04/review-born-of-shadows.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I was shocked! But hey if he likes women now I am so on board with him ;)

    ReplyDelete