Friday, December 24, 2010

Double Play by Jill Shalvis

Play Ball!!

This was a great contemporary romance. Since I happen to love Baseball myself, I had to read this book. Come to find out I would not be disappointed. Not only do you get the romance you get a view inside the baseball season.

Pace Martin does not need any distractions while in season. He's the star pitcher for the Santa Barbara Pacific Heat's baseball team. Fighting an injury that could end his career and trying to pitch the Heat to the World Series. With lots of pressure on him already, he doesn't need Holly Hutchinson interfering in his life. Holly Hutchinson is not only good at finding secrets, but she is asked to write about them. Attraction runs deep with the two and trying to fight it because both have jobs to do and don't want romance to get in the way. When tension runs high and trust issues come into play, you have to wonder if they are a match made in heaven.

Even before this book I wanted my own baseball player (*bats eyes at Derek Jeter*), but then after reading this I am wondering where to find one. I liked the fact that this book wasn't predictable. You never new when they were going to take things to the next level. Laughing out loud is a great quality in this book, although my husband kept looking at me like I lost my mind, I truly enjoyed this. It was a very fun read.

I loved Pace and the whole nice guy thing he had going on. The only thing that bothered me was my feelings for Holly in the beginning while she was speaking to her boss, but she didn't listen to him and kept trying to find out what the Heat was hiding. Way to go Holly! Holly pretty much expects everyone around her to hide things or lie, but she doesn't come off as completely cynical or hard. On the contrary, I found her tough choices when it comes to writing her articles, the secrets, and her relationship with Pace very real. I also loved that fact that she didn't do it to advance in her writing career. Pace being a private man whose life revolves around baseball and his career wasn't the jerk I would have been picturing. He could have been a self-centered athlete, but instead he is a giving, kind man and lets not forget hot!

The chemistry is wow. Shalvis can write some steamy scenes and she certainly did not disappoint on those in Double Heat. Even with just the kissing scenes can fog up any mirror. I loved the sexual tension between Holly and Pace, in fact so much build up that they don’t even get together until you read half the book but it is well worth the wait. Then when they finally together, WOW!!! I also fell in love with a few of the secondary characters and crossing fingers some more book will be written about them.

This is a great year around read and a great book for any baseball fans. Well, actually for anyone who just loves romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment